Monday, August 13, 2012

Bibs! I made bibs on my TL18LS Longarm!

I can't get into my other blog site...so here's the latest quilting/sewing for Margie's Quilting Adventures!

We have a new great grandchild (first, actually) due in February 2013, so was looking at bibs.  Bought one at the Dollar Store...cheapo...used it as the basis for my embroidery/Qbot applique design.  The design is a simple outline of a bib...copied and changed the color of the first outline from blue to red...then pasted the copied (blue) outline onto the red....saved it as bib1. 

Following pics show how I did these on my longarm (although, I could do one at a time on my AD860 embroidery machine)..three across at a time....

I loaded yellow flannel and a thin (3 oz) poly batting (batting is not needed, it was there, so I added it.  Next, I chose some fabrics I thought would look nice with a yellow backing.


Then, I marked out where I would place the first bib.  I wasn't sure of the size of the bib, so I marked for the first one.  The next two, I didn't mark for...I cut the fabric and used it's size to do the 4 point scaling (proportional NO) in Qbot.


This is what the first layout stitching looks like.  You cut and layout the top fabric to cover this outline by at least 1/4".  Pin in several places to hold the fabric in place (could use spray baste, but I didn't want to).


Qbot waiting for me to hit the GO button, to stitch out the next color.  Here is where you lay out the top fabric, and make sure it's lined up for stitching.  To make placement easier...I pulled out about 4" of thread from the needle & snipped the top thread at the surface of the batting...this let's you put the fabric all the way under the needle (makes smoothing out the fabric easier).


Closeup of the fabric laid out and pinned for top stitching the outline.  See that yellow pinhead?  You don't want to pin there!  Pin up or down 2"...that pin is at the neckline stitching...my needle missed it by a thread!



The finished bib outline.  You don't cut away the fabric at this point.  I cut away a small amount to show you how much I will leave when I cut out the bibs..the outline stitches will be buried in the binding.


Finished bibs!  You can get three across (placed top to bottom, as shown) on 44" width of fabric.
Can you see the quilting on the yellow bib?  I followed the blue lines in the fabric.  The middle bib has an appliqued bear (done on my embroidery machine before placing on the longarm), and the bright bib has a catchall pocket at the bottom (red).  I took a square of red fabric, folded it in half...laid it onto the bib..secured the top edges where the outline stitching will happen ...keeps the hopping foot from catching in the fold (yep, I did that!). 

Now to go get some binding, or make some...naw, I'll buy some, LOL.  Hm mm, wonder what a binding machine costs?!...may have to check on that!  

I also have some sew in velcro I'll use to close the bib...you just sew a little square of the soft side to the top of one "arm" and the sticky/stiff side to the underside of the other "arm", easy peasy!

I'll post the burp cloths & other goodies I try doing on my longarm...wouldn't a nice hooded towel, receiving blanket, etc., make a cute ensemble as a gift for a new baby? 

If you would like a copy of the bib outline for your personal use, click the following link to email me : Bib outline .  Be sure to put BIB OUTLINE as your subject line...and also tell me what longarm machine you have.  I have Qbot...but can do the design in most formats, including embroidery.

Please use the design only for your own personal use (yes, you can sell them, but no COMMERCIAL mass producing).

Off to dig out some binding...Think I have the red & yellow...just have to wait for the white.